I write books for children and like going to the beach. Winter makes me cranky but chocolate helps.
This is my space to wallow in whatever writing I want without the weight
of purpose. It's not a commentary of my entire life, or my life as an author,
but I do like to ponder picture books and writing. Come wander beside me
and share your thoughts.
May 19th, 2013
Thank you to everyone who entered the Somebody’s House Creation Competition. The entries were all amazing and fabulous. I loved receiving them.
Our judge Anthea Stead had a very difficult time choosing only three. You can read her comments and see the winning entries below.
Local Prize (Adelaide Hills)
Brielle (aged 7)
Judges comments: It’s such a gorgeous colourful house. I love it! Well done Brielle.
State Prize (South Australia)
Joanna (aged 6)
Judges comments: Another house full of colour! There’s so much going on in this house reminds me of my own! Well done.
Jack (aged 6)
Judges comments: Yet again a fabulously colourful house. I love the satellite dish and the bird sitting in its nest. Congratulations!
Jack, Joanna and Brielle have each won a Walker Books prize pack.
April 30th, 2013
It’s a sad day when a child says, “That dog in the book is like my dog at home!” and the teacher responds blandly with, “Good. You just made a text to self connection.”
April 10th, 2013
For children aged 8 years and under
Entries now open!
To celebrate the launch of my new picture book Somebody’s House, illustrated by Anthea Stead, I’m giving away three Walker Books prize packs, valued at over $100.00 each. Every prize pack includes an author signed copy of Somebody’s House.
The competition is fun and easy to enter – simply create a house of any kind and submit a photo of you with your entry.
You can create a pop-stick house, a drawing, a cubby house, a tree house, a cardboard house or a play-dough house. Any kind of house is fine as long as you create it yourself.
For ideas and inspiration visit the Somebody’s House Pinterest Board.
Creations will be judged by Somebody’s House illustrator Anthea Stead and the winners will be announced during the public launch of Somebody’s House at the Lobethal Markets on Sunday May 19.
- Entrants must be 8 years or under and have permission from a guardian to enter.
- The competition is open to residents of Australia only.
- A prize shall be awarded in each of the three categories of National, State (South Australia) and Local (Adelaide Hills).
- All entries must include a photo of the entrant with their entry, their first name, their age and state of residence. (Please specify if you are an Adelaide Hills resident.)
- Entries must be emailed to email@example.com or posted to PO Box 506, Kent Town, SA 5067 and received before midnight on Monday May 13, 2013.
- The National Prize will be posted to an address nominated by the winner’s guardian. The State and Local prizes will be available for collection at the Lobethal Markets from May 19 to August 19, 2013.
- Entry photos may be displayed at the Lobethal Markets and shared on www.katrinagermein.com and across popular social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter.
The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
April 27th, 2012
This blog is asleep.
Feel free to search and browse old posts.
You can follow my news on Facebook here.