I write picture books. I don’t illustrate them. I can’t illustrate them and I don’t really want to illustrate them. I believe that both the illustrations and the text are of equal importance in my books. They play a dual role in telling the story and engaging children.
While I completely understand that stunning illustrations are the first thing you notice when you open a picture book the following comments will offend me if you have one of my books in your hand:
- Children’s books are really all about the pictures aren’t they?
- The best thing about this book is the artwork.
- Your book is great. I didn’t get a chance to read it but the illustrations are wonderful.
You won’t offend me if you say:
- The pictures are beautiful.
- Isn’t the artwork gorgeous?
- The illustrations are perfect.
And you definitely won’t offend me if you say something positive about the words. I put quite a lot of thought into those.
Tags: Writing picture books